Thursday, November 18, 2004

One of those good news, bad news weeks

Spent the better part of an afternoon and evening creating an online resume for a federal job which I maybe want and have no guarantee of getting. Sigh. Two interviews in two weeks, one that sounded promising but turned out weird and didn't pan out anyway, and one where I got an offer but, really, just isn't ME. Night hours, low pay - what's wrong with this picture?? I made more $$ thirty years ago working part-time. Oh, and I passed the civil service exam with flying colors - for a job already filled. Go figure. This bridesmaid stuff is for the birds. I'm tired of being first runner-up. And forget Miss Congeniality.

My first employer died yesterday at age 83. Hard to believe he's gone. Harder still his wife has been dead for 15 years - such a sweet woman, and everyone was sure Joe would go first. Bridge just wore out, I think. Of course I hadn't worked for them since '77. Still, every time I hear a glass break, I picture Joe running out from behind the bar to ask "what happened, who broke it?" Funny to be nostalgic over a $1.65 per hour job (and no tips), but there it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home